|Join Our Mailing List|
Thank you for your interest in the NorShor Theatre restoration.
There’s been quite a bit of movement lately with the Nor Shor Theatre restoration project, and we’ll be keeping you up to date. Please visit our ‘In The News’ page for the latest and greatest.
As the project progresses, we’ll post as many updates as we can. We encourage you to use the sign-up link at the top of this page to receive updates as they happen/.
In the meantime, here you’ll find answers to some frequently asked questions.
What is the origin of the NorShor Theatre restoration project?
In 2010 the Duluth Economic Development Authority (DEDA) purchased the historic NorShor Theatre and surrounding real estate. The intent was to return the NorShor to life as a vibrant cultural center — serving the needs of the arts, dance, theatre and musical organizations from across the region.
In 2012, DEDA selected developer Sherman Associates and the Duluth Playhouse, as a part of an RFP asking them to join forces to oversee the transformation of the theater, and future management of the facility. Each bringing expertise in their respective fields, this powerful partnership crafted a compelling vision and plan for the project. Together they will direct the rehabilitation of the NorShor Theatre, the Temple Opera House and the Annex Buildings, creating a state-of-the-art, 700-seat facility in the heart of Duluth.
• A stabilized, restored NorShor Theatre and its surrounding buildings will bring vital economic growth and development to the city’s center.
• It will provide a much-needed mid-sized venue that will offer a state-of-the-art facility for national, regional, and local, performers.
• A vibrant cultural community creates an enhanced quality of life for residents, strengthens the city and our surrounding region.
• The NorShor will be one more reason tourists will consider Duluth a destination of choice.
• As a landmark in downtown Duluth, the NorShor Theatre played a significant role in our city’s history, and in the lives of so many of our residents. Restoring it to its grandeur as a center for arts and entertainment will bring a wide variety of new performances from local, regional, and national performers, and the opportunity for new experiences and memories for generations to come.
The extensive restoration will include:
• Bringing the building into ADA compliance, making it fully accessible.
• Executive Suites that can be used as semi-private entertainment areas.
• An extended stage and orchestra pit.
• Refurbished seating throughout.
• A pre-show reception and lounge area, ideal for public gatherings and private parties and events.
• A new bar and lounge highlighting the legendary 1940’s Milk Bar
Who is Sherman Associates?
Sherman Associates is an award-winning firm specializing in design, construction, and financing quality commercial and housing properties. Given their expertise, the firm is uniquely qualified to steer the redevelopment of the NorShor.